25 December 2010

A true star can never be stolen.


Having stuffed our burlap sacks with enough greenery and crimson to garland a dozen windows, we set about choosing a tree. "It should be," muses my friend, "twice as tall as a boy. So a boy can't steal the star." The one we pick is twice as tall as me...Once a car stops, and the rich mill owner's lazy wife leans out and whines: "Giveya two-bits" cash for that ol tree." Ordinarily my friend is afraid of saying no; but on this occasion she promptly shakes her head: "We wouldn't take a dollar." The mill owner's wife persists. "A dollar, my foot! Fifty cents. That's my last offer. Goodness, woman, you can get another one." In answer, my friend gently reflects: "I doubt it.
There's never two of anything." -"A Christmas Memory", Truman Capote, 1956

1 comment:

by land by air by sea said...

i read this every year at christmas.

i have a special copy, that just appears with our other books for this time.

there is really nothing quite like it.

B