08 December 2008

You be good, see you tomorrow. I love you.


A Parrot for Juan Gris, Joseph Cornell

My oldest friend in the world and I were having a very emotional conversation about animals the other night. I was snuggling Teepee, he was stuck in the netherworld that is Miami this time of year. Excepting the sun and beach, I clearly was the luckier one at the time of said conversation. He told me about this obituary he had read in the New York Times, about Alex, a parrot with a 100 word vocabulary, who's last words before his death at the age of 31 were, "You be good, see you tomorrow. I love you." Heartbreaking. And, aren't parrots supposed to live forever and have to be bequeathed to unsuspecting heirs in wills? Why did the special guy have to go so young?

I was then obliged to spend quite a while on Koko.org. Koko was a childhood obsession of mine. Her response to grief and witnessing the death of one of her trainers, Mike, is also, heartbreaking.

Conclusion: Jezebel, easily, readily, unabashedly moved to tears by all creatures, great and small.

5 comments:

Uncommon Objects Blog said...

Oh my! The story of Alex is beautiful and beyond heartbreaking.

gabe said...

I'm formally stealing this story for my blog, sorry, jezebel ;).

We used to have a parrot that could do some of the linguistic stuff. The goodbye message is just too much...

jezebel said...

My stolen article is your stolen stolen article, dearest.

Prairie Gothic said...

What a touching story. I have totally had to rethink my view of all animals, especially after watching the video of the dog pulling another from the freeway.

Anonymous said...

I used to be recommended this blog by my cousin. I am now not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else understand such specified about my difficulty.

You are wonderful! Thank you!

my website :: click here