24 November 2008

I may be knitting a ranch house.

I admit it, I do. Though totally pedestrian, I totally love Breakfast at Tiffany's. Norman Mailer helps me justify myself:

He (Truman Capote) had a lovely poetic ear. He did not have a good mind. I don't know if there was ever a large idea that bothered him for one minute. While he wrote poetically, he didn't think like a poet. He didn't have that concentrated sense of metaphor that a poet works toward. But he had a sense of time and place. Breakfast at Tiffany's, for example, is on the one hand a slight book. Looking at it with a hard Marxist eye, it's a charlotte russe. On the other hand, if you want to capture a period in New York, no other book has done it so well...He could capture period and place like few others.

I must say, that after spending so many warm hours with Tru, I feel awfully guilty sending him out to sea like that.

1 comment:

rony @ catbird said...

truman capote wrote one of my favorite short stories of all time - Children on Their Birthdays.